Also known as: Kitchari, Kitcharee
Kicheree is a highly digestible, balanced protein, which is a soothing, healing addition to a basic vegetarian diet. You may use just about any vegetables, not just the ones listed below. It is good for the kidneys, colon, and digestive organs, or when the intestines are not fully digesting food properly.
Makes 8 servings
1 Cup Mung Beans (You may use whole beans OR split yellow mung dal; less cook-time for split beans)
1 Cup Basmati Rice
9 Cups Water
6-7 Cups assorted Vegetables (e.g. carrots, green beans, zucchini, etc.)
¼ Cup Ghee or olive oil
4-5 Cloves of fresh Garlic, crushed in a press
2 Onions, Chopped
1 finger fresh Ginger root, peeled and minced
1 1/2 Tsp Tumeric
1 1/2 Tsp Cumin powder
3/4 Tsp Ground Coriander seed
Seeds of 5 Green Cardamon Pods (or 3/4 tsp powder)
1 Tsp Black Pepper
½ Tsp Crushed Red Chilies (more if you like spicy OR omit completely if you don’t like it hot)
1 – 1 1/2 Tbsp Sea Salt
This recipe goes much smoother if you prep everything before you begin.
- Add salt to water in a large stew pot and bring water to a light boil.
- Wash Mung beans, carefully removing any tiny stones.
- Rinse Basmati Rice at least three times to remove starch.
- Set mung beans and rice aside.
- Chop assorted vegetables.
- (Prepare the Masala Mixture while waiting for water to boil)
- Heat Ghee (or Oil) in a large frying pan (preferrably cast iron.)
- Add garlic (using press), chopped onions, and Ginger and saute under a medium flame. When Onions, Garlic and Ginger are translucent, add Turmeric, Cumin, Coriander, Cardamon, Crushed Chilies and Black Pepper; mix well.
- When all spices are absorbed shut off flame and let sit for 5 min, covered.
- (When water begins to boil)
- Add mung beans to boiling water.
- Reduce flame to simmering and cover and boil until the beans start to soften and open, (15-20 min.)
- Add Masala Mixture to water with mung beans and vegetables.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes until soupy. Add rice and cook an additional 15-20 min until rice is absorbed. Shut off heat & let sit for 15 mins to set.