(Adapted by Maureen Tonge)
3 long cinnamon sticks (or five shorter ones) or a handful of cinnamon bark
28 – 30 whole black peppercorns
28 – 30 whole cloves
28 -30 green cardamom pods, slightly crushed (mortar & pestle OR rolling pin work!)
5 – 7 slices of fresh ginger root, washed with skin left on
1 bag of black tea (orange pekoe works fine too)
Sweetener of choice (ideally raw, unpasteurized organic honey but raw organic agave syrup works fine too)
Milk or dairy alternative to taste
Steps to Follow
- Fill a very large pot with water and turn on high.
- Toss in all ingredients EXCEPT bag of black tea.
- Bring water to a boil, and then turn to medium-low to simmer.
- Simmer for 30 – 45 minutes. Add black tea in the last five minutes of simmering. Turn off heat on stovetop.
- Strain into second pot (I do it over the sink). Return pot to stovetop.
- The tea will last unsweetened & without dairy in fridge for one month.
- Once dairy or alternative is added, tea will last in fridge for one week.
- Do not add sweetener until ready to consume tea. If you re-heat sweetened tea, you will lose the nutritional benefits of the unpasteurized honey.