Recipe from The Ultimate Gluten-Free Cookie Book, by Roben Ryberg.
- 1/3 c. oil (I used grapeseed)
- ½ c. sugar (I used organic coconut sugar which is VERY low on the glycemic index)
- 1 ½ c. brown rice flour (Bob’s Red Mills, from Co-op)
- 1 egg (I substituted 1 TBSP chia/flax seed in 3 TBSP hot water, soaked for 10 minutes)
- ½ c. applesauce
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. xanthan gum (Bob’s Red Mills, from Co-op)
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/3 c. roughly chopped raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F. Very lightly grease a cookie sheet OR use parchment paper (what I did)
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the oil and sugar. Beat well (I used a wooden spoon). Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to oil and sugar mixture. Beat well. Add the egg or egg-substitute & continue beating until dough comes together; it will be soft.
- Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of the dough onto the prepared pan. With moistened fingertips, press them into ¼ inch thickness.
- Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown. Let cool on wire racks before serving.